Changing oil in Hydro YT3600

fdb

Changing oil in Hydro YT3600

fdb
Are two seperate compartments, one for the neutral lever, and then a lower one for the hydro transmission? I have emptied both, and can they both use the same oil and are each intercontected, as I could do not drain both at the same time. Can I use Mobile 1 ATF synthetic oil?

Re: Changing oil in Hydro YT3600

At the end of the following post is some directions on the 3600 model. Forum member RAB5050 would be the man to ask on tips.
http://old.nabble.com/Hydro-oil-change-refresher-td28413800.html

 Don't know if I'd use the ATF for cars, but a synthetic replacement oil would be an upgrade from the standard 10W30 from the factory.

Re: Changing oil in Hydro YT3600

RAB5050
I honestly don't know if the hydro drive has two separate chambers. I found a drain plug on the side that sits flush and has to be removed with an Allen key. . Its been three years but I was sure all the oil had drained but if there is another chamber then I never noticed. I would just use wd40 as it lasted many many years,I only changed it because the one original owner never did. I do suggest to change the differential as well cause mine had turned to jelly.
 This is a copy from a previous post.

  (First I  am not trying to step on any ones toes,I am just a backyard mechanic but one that loves it.

I just want to mention, (and I have before two or three seasons ago),that I did change the hydro drive oil in my 3600 and its nothing close to what I am reading in here.
I am not and cant speak for any other model.

All I remember having to do was, (1)( take off the seat and remove the cross bracket(2) I had to look very closely but finally spotted a flush mounted set screw that needs an Allen key to unscrew.
(3)  With the fill cap already removed to allow proper drainage I removed the screw and all the oil drained out all over everything (forgot the drain pan but it would have not caught it all). I didn't bother to flush some new oil through but may have been a good idea since this was the first oil change in 14 years. (Previous owner told me he only changed the engine oil.) I have read more than once how you have to remove the auto stop safety rod etc. I  have no idea why its necessary. (4) I replaced the drain screw and filled it up with new oil, (I did rock the machine slightly to make sure it was full). (5) I replaced the cap started the machine ran it gently in forward and reverse checked the oil level again and it was still full.6) replace bracket and seat.

 I have used it for three summers since and its just as good as new.

 In a nut shell it was remove seat and bracket, take the fill cap off,remove drain plug and drain oil, replace plug add oil and replace the fill cap, replace the seat and bracket, and your done.

 Now I regret not posting pictures but I didn't take any, that being said I would be more than happy to do it again and take pictures as its been three years so it wont hurt plus I need to change the differential any ways.

There is a lot written about air traps etc but I have never had to add one drop since I filled it, I cant swear this was the standard or right way but it was fast and it worked.)

Re: Changing oil in Hydro YT3600

YamaDog
Not sure about the two compartments but the hydrostatic resivour is below the seat under the storage box that can be taken out with two screws. It is a round container with a screw of cap.  Use only hydrostatic fluid 30w

Re: Changing oil in Hydro YT3600

moezdell
Hi,

I also own a Yamaha YT3600 and need to change the hydrostatic fluid.  I read your message and you mention you would't have a problem posting pictures.  I have drained the oil from  the differential but can't find the drain plug to drain the hydrostatic fluid.  If you could post a picture of that drain plug I would really appreciate it.  Thanks very much for your help.

Moe