Deck Belt Hot

cswanson
Hello, regarding the YT5700 I have been working on.  Completed everything it required and works like a champ.  When my friend brought it over the deck was noisy and the deck tension idler arm bushings were locked up (for the double pulley).
I removed the blade spindles and double pulley and replaced the bearings with new sealed bearings, went well.  the two idler pulley bearings were good so I just cleaned those up.
Anyway, i installed the deck and put belts on, tensioned the belt and made sure all pulleys were aligned.  Very quiet now.  i noticed after a few minutes of the deck being on the belt itself gets hot.  It seems like all of the spindles are not hot by the center of the pulley or under the pulley or under the deck, so I dont think the spindle bearings are giving resistance.  The same with the two idler pulleys and the double pulley.
I ordered a new belt just to see if that would help but same thing.
Is it normal on these that the belt just runs hot due to how the pulley/belts run?  with no noise and none of the pulley/spindle centers getting hot before the outside of the pulley gets hot from the belt I dont know what to look at.  I could put on two new idler pulleys but not sure if that would help.
I have a JD and a Simplicity (both 80's-90's models) and obviously the belt gets warm to the touch over time but not like this?
would anyone have any input on if it's normal for these decks to the deck belt run hot?  the PTO-Deck belt does not seem to heat up much.
Thank you
Craig

Re: Deck Belt Hot

rattosh51
Hmmm, yes they get warm when running, but like you said not very hot to the touch. Maybe try loosening the tension a bit to see if it helps any. I guess if it isn't smoking, just see if that's how it's going to be. Guess I never really checked myself.
Anything new since you posted this?