Hydro trans fluid

bubba40
Hi all,

New here. First post. Glad to find this forum and fellow YT owners. Second onwer on this durable and reliable tractor. I has owned this unit since 1998. Looking to change the tranny fluid (I know about time)and wondering what type of oil and where to drain?

Thanks.

Re: Hydro trans fluid

rattosh51
Bubba40,
 Welcome to the Forum, glad to have ya. The hydro takes regular 10W30 motor oil, but if your changing it, you might want to replace with a synthetic or other more durable oil. There are a couple other posts regarding the hydro oil, and a nice rebuild post on the 6700. Read on...
When you get a chance....let's see some pics of it!!!

From fellow member Meofuse---
"There is a thread on this forum that I started early last summer with pictures included. I rebuilt the hydro on my YT6700 because of lack of maintenance by the previous owner. There is no drain plug in the hydro to drain the old oil but there are two ways to drain it if you are somewhat mechanical inclined. The first and easiest way would be to remove the filler cup that attaches to the unit and using a small syringe and small tube try to suck out the oil. You will find that this doesn't work very well and will not get all the gunk and dirt accumlated on the inside bottom. The second way is to raise the tractor so you can access the hydro. If you remove the rear tire on the side where you pull the lift lever for hydro neutral you can see where the lift lever actuates a small button on the hydro. This button actually opens a passage that allows the oil to flow freely in the unit to prevent damage if you need to move the tractor without the engine running. Be that as it may, the button is held in place by a hex nut. Loosen and remove the hex nut around the button... be careful there is a small spring in the unit, do not lose it! The oil will drain out. If you can, flush the unit with kerosene or something to remove the sediment, blow the unit out with an airhose and replace the spring/button nut/lever. The book calls for regular 10W/30 motor oil but I put a straight 40 weight in, it improves performance on the older unit and adds better wear protection."

Re: Hydro trans fluid

bubba40
Thanks for the information it will be a big help. Will gets some pics up someday (maybe) just gotta find the time.

Re: Hydro trans fluid

bubba40
here is a picture or two of my 6700

and

Thanks again for the help. Oil has been changed and unit is running fine. Of course won't get a chance to really use it until spring.

Re: Hydro trans fluid

rattosh51
Nice tractor, looks like new. So what did you end up using for the oil change?

Re: Hydro trans fluid

Meofouse
Just as a postscript to all, after last springs' rebuild of the hydro on my 6700 it runs
like a champ without one hiccup. The 40 weight straight oil works great. and the
machine runs like a bull.
Meofouse

Re: Hydro trans fluid

bubba40
Used a full synthetic 10-30. Seems to work fine.

Re: mower deck

red123
Dear Yamaha YT6700 true believers,
I just pushed a free roadside YT6700 home and I am so impressed with the quality details of this machine that I want to make it functional. It runs great: smooth and powerful but...
1) the gear selection lever is uncertain and wont stay put. the machine will move if firm pressure is applied and maintained on the lever. the plastic cover that sits on top of the fender that has the gear indicators   (R, N, F) is badly broken up suggesting some frustration and violent action by previous owner.
2) the mower deck is rusted through and if I cant find a replacement for that then the gear selection problem becomes irrelevant.
Please help!
How will  ever find a YT 6700 owner willing to part with their mower deck?

Re: mower deck

RAB5050
(cover shmother) I just tossed my semi broken one on the shelf and run it without with no problem.
 Take a good close look at the linkage adjusters springs etc. spray down everything with wd40 (it wont hurt anything) that may take care of most of the problems.
 Don't give up on the deck ninety percent can and have been repaired. They can even be beefed up with added metal and made stiffer and stronger than the original. BTY. any wood worker with a lathe can easily make new bogie wheels using hardwood, or a metal shop could make them from aluminum.

Re: mower deck

rattosh51
The gears shift selelector cover is a replaceable part, and seems to be the most common thing that breaks on these. I actually just broke mine this weekend. You put more pressure on there than you realize...

Broken shift lever housing

Meofouse
Mine broke this spring. Just unscrew it from under the fender, glue it back together with epoxy and screw it back on, good to go

Re: Broken shift lever housing

domsril
Mine broke this spring. Just unscrew it from under the fender, glue it back together with epoxy and screw it back on, good to go

Re: Broken shift lever housing

RAB5050
re: shift cover, I am fairly sure that the cover is made from ABS plastic. Epoxy glue works great on almost everything but if its ABS then I think if you use the same glue as you use with ABS plastic pipes it might make a stronger bond.

Re: Hydro trans fluid

harley1
Hi I have a YT 6800 OHV and I'm wondering what its worth runs great just doesn't have the deck on it if u could tell me what's its worth that would be great

Re: Hydro trans fluid

rattosh51
Harley1,
 "What is it worth" is hard to answer.
Consult your local Craigslist and see how much other 24 year old 18hp tractors are going for.
Without a deck lowers the value quite a bit though, and makes it just a puller....the deck is $200 to 300 alone...