Mower will not start-- HELP

When I was in the middle of mowing it just completely died and I could not even charge it with a car so I had to push it into the garage. I replaced the battery and now it will turn over but not start. Any suggestions on what is wrong??

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

cr250
Well, lets start with the easy stuff. What mower do you have?
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

Yt 3600

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

rattosh51
Check your basics first, plug in good shape, gas, gas cap vent not plugged, seat and brake safety switches working.
Odd that it shut down while mowing.

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

Yes went and bought a new battery new spark plug full of oil checked the seat and brake and gas cap all looks good. When I go to start her it starts but just won't fire so it it's like whoa than nothing whoa and nothing? Put gas in the spark plug also to see if she would fire.. nope. And when she died we had to push her into the garage I couldn't even jump it with my car. That's why I replaced the battery?

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

rattosh51
Next thing is to check & see if you have spark at the plug itself...

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

How do you do that

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

rattosh51
google it...

here's a general one that covers it-

https://youtu.be/mUOmsGiirTU

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

Ok, Watched the video and we did just that. The spark was blue. So we tried to start it and It was turning it over then i engaged the clutch and it started. it was running rough then dis engaged the choke and let it sit by the turtle then it idled up and   was really loud then it killed and now wont start. will not even turn over. it is not the battery because the lights work?

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

rattosh51
Man, I have no idea, but this sentence-"then i engaged the clutch and it started" seems odd.
It shouldn't start when you engage the clutch. Something seems pretty messed up, but I'm not sure what.

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

No other ideas?

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

rattosh51
I got nothin'...cr250, have any?? Your more knowledgeable on the 3600 than I.

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

cr250
Ya, but I feel its over his head, sorry.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

Jesse
Look up eBay ignition switch I'm having the similar issue but I. Can't just a fy $75.00.

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

Jesse
Also read more and some adjustment to the carb is needed.
Cal

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

Cal
Been many years since I was on this site. Never had any problems with the yt6700 after rebuilding the hydro a few  years back. Now as I was mowing I had the same problem. Just quit.... Turns over great, sprayed starter fluid in the carb but nothing so it's not a fuel problem. Gotta be electrical somewhere??

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

First thing that comes to mind is to check the valve clearances (or lash) to make sure they are correctly spaced.
I do not remember the clearance size at the moment, but it may be in one of the older posts. Do a search on th postings for "valve clearance"
.004 comes to mind when engine is cool
Cal

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

Cal
I think it's a spark issue. Valve clearance would not quit instantly. Is there a schematic of the ignition somewhere? I did replace the key switch a few years back. Since it is a magneto system the key assembly can be replaced with a generic from a box store that has replacement parts for most lawn equipment. IE Murry Brigs, Craftsman etc. Just need to get the color code(s) right so the mag shorts out when turning the key off.
I'll get my neighbor to hold onto the plug wire while I turn it over....:-)

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

rattosh51
true, on the sudden quitting.
I can find parts, but not color codes for the ignition and switch here-

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a2b6f870021f60a1268f/electrical-1

Need someone with a service manual to pipe in...moderator?

Re: Mower will not start-- HELP

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
Good afternoon, here you go as per your request,
it’s the 2nd link down in all the fast moving YT-6800 tractor stuff.

http://blog.yamahagenuineparts.com/2009/03/lawn-tractor-service-manual.html

Speedy
www.YamahaGenuineParts.com