New to Yamaha

yamahoppy
Hello in here everyone. I'm a Yamaha yt6800 virgin. Just bought it on sunday June 7th. its in ecellent shape, but I don't know anything about it. The lady I purchased it from had no idea either. I'm asuming its at least 18 or 20 hp and probably 46" or bigger cut. Can anyone fill me in on these details and any other details that this tractor may have.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Re: New to Yamaha

rattosh51
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum! There aren't a lot of responders on here, so you'll see a lot of posts from me. From my limited research on these (had mine since last August), The 6800 was made from 1989-1990. If you look on the tag on the right side frame of the tractor, I believe it says on there 6800N (1989) or 6800P (1990). From what I know, there isn't any difference between the two years.
It is also referred to as JE8, for a part number. The limited production years means there are limited parts suppliers, which are listed in other posts. Read as much as you can. Yes, you have the Yamaha 18hp V-twin engine. There are owner's manuals & service manuals still available through the parts suppliers, but do yourself a favor & get the service manual. The owner's manual has limited info in them. The engine & hydro both use 10W30 oil. Engine holds 1.9 qts, tranny holds .53 qt. The cutting deck is supposed to be 48" wide. Spark plug is NGK BPR5HS, gapped to .024-.028.
Good luck with it and post some pics!!!

Re: New to Yamaha

yamahoppy
Hey man thanks  for the reply :)
I'll definetly look for a shop manual on-line to purchase. Do you know of anywhere on-line that instructs you on how to level or set the mowing deck? My deck seems to be sitting higher in the back and low in the front. Also my guide wheels on the deck seem to be very very loose, so that is this weekends project. This winter though a new paint job and perhaps chrome wheels.... need to be "stylin' while cuttin' the grass... lol

Re: New to Yamaha

rattosh51
There isn't anything online as far as adjustments & maintenance. The owner's manual goes over this, but you'd have to see the pictures to follow along, as there is side-to-side and front-to-back adjustments, measuring the blade height.
The pics don't turn out well by copying, or I'd send you some (have tried before). Better off investing in a manual, you'll need it anyway. Last I checked service manuals were $100 and owners manuals were $43. There is a post that's callled "fast moving parts" that has manual prices.