Oil Change done on 3600.. a few things learned.

Oil Change done on 3600.. a few things learned.

Corksailor
I did an oil change a few minutes ago on my new-to-me 3600.  From the look of the oil (reminded me of the oil bubbling from the ground on the Beverly Hillbillies show... black gold... Texas Tea), I have to wonder when it was done in the 20+ years.

For those planning that for the first time, a couple of things... (and maybe the other models are of similar configuration).  The oil drain plug is at the left rear of the engine, underneath.  Unfortunately can't remember if it was a 17mm or 15mm socket in size, since I had both with me.  Possibly 17.   First off, I could see that there was a definite danger of oil falling on the main mower belt if I drained it like that.  You do NOT want oil on a belt.  I was up on a small ramp, about 8" off the ground.  I first took a light rope and tied the drive belt back to the right as much as I could, to get it out of the way.  I was using a tinfoil pan to drain into (I save old heavy tinfoil pans from frozen dinners or the like for jobs like this).  I took another pan and cut it into a sheet, and inserted that below the drain hole, sloped to catch and drain the oil to the left side of the machine,  bending the foil into a ramp/funnel leaning to above my catch pan below.  THEN I fully removed the drain plug and let it run down the sheet and into the pan below.

It took a bit less than a liter to refill the engine...that's about the same as saying a bit less than the US quart of oil.  I would suggest you go about 3/4 of the quart/liter, and then start checking the level before you finish off, as I suspect a full quart might be too much.  I had the machine up on a ramp, sloped, when draining, as I mentioned, so there might have been a bit of oil remaining behind the drain plug, though I doubt there was much.  Now that I know where things are, I'll probably drain next time on the level.  Since it had not been changed for a while, I'll probably change it again in a month or so just to flush it well.

Checking and filling is done up the left side of the engine, toward the front, where there is a little dipstick.  The black plastic dipstick "hole" is the fill plug, which is removed by unscrewing it.  Bit of a nuisance there in a couple of regards.  To check properly, you have to put the cap on, then insert the stick (fully).  Not to max?  Take the cover off again, fill a bit more, put it back on, stick back in, etc., etc.  And the stick goes in fairly solidly on mine, rubber seals, and it tends to whack your fingers on the frame parts as you try to pull the thing out.

One issue I ran into was that being on a slant, I had to lower the machine to level for final filling.  With the hydro trans, you can't move the thing when it's shut off.  How to get it down the ramp with no oil?  Certainly don't start it!  I looked at the oil taken out, and estimated it at about a liter/quart.  Added about 3/4 of that while it was still on the ramp, then started and quickly backed down and shut down.  I figure any machine designed to mow on a hill must pump oil even when on a slant, so feel I was OK there.  Topped things off when it was on the level.

Getting at the fill hole with oil can be an issue.  Funnel with a longer, bendable spout or one with about 6" of hose attached would be ideal.  I managed to pour in OK from a liter plastic bottle, with a rag to catch any drips.

I used 10W-30 oil, which seemed to be recommended here.  I suspect straight 30 would likely do as well for a summertime machine.  Sure looked clean by comparison!

Re: Oil Change done on 3600.. a few things learned.

YamaDog
We fill our to bottom line on the stick.  This mower as a flaw that when it get on a hill side ways you will blow oil through the engine. First time it happened to me I thought I blew the engine

Re: Oil Change done on 3600.. a few things learned.

gordonr
To move mower when not running lift  the little knob that is under the seat up you can then move mower
Gordonr

Re: Oil Change done on 3600.. a few things learned.

Corksailor
Thanks, guys... great site to accumulate knowledge.  My ground is quite flat, so will likely not run into the oil blowing problem, but good to know.  I think I'll back the level off to half the range and keep it there.  Will try the seat knob next time I need to move it w/o starting.