Oil/grease/ etc.

Corksailor
With my new-to-me YT3600, I'm trying to get maintenance items up to date (doesn't seem to have been a lot of maintenance through the years, though it is in good shape).

Grease:  I found grease fittings on the steering arm posts (probably a proper name for those), and one on each mowing blade shaft, underneath (those took 25 pumps with my small grease gun before showing any grease out the seams.... suspect they were never greased).  Any more grease fittings around the machine?

Engine oil:  Topped it up, but it looks dirty.  Grade of oil for use in this?  Smaller mower engines often take straight 30 grade, people using another multi-grade like 10W-30?  About how much oil does the 3600 hold?

Greasing wheel axles/bearings:  Are there roller or ball bearings in the wheel hubs that would benefit from a re-packing of grease?

I understand there is a differential that contains oil, and the hydrostatic trans as well.  There seems to be a mixture of opinions in this forum on what oils to use here, from Hydrostatic fluid 30W (sounds good, but might be difficult to get?) to plain 10W-30 (which doesn't sound as reasonable for the Hydrostatic, but perhaps works).  Anyone with an owner's manual that specifies the fluids for these?  I found the Thread here about removal and replacement of the hydrostatic fluid on the 3600, but there doesn't seem to be clarity on the fluid.

I removed the mower deck yesterday (bit of a struggle, partially because it likely hadn't been removed for some time/(ever?) and I was figuring it out on the fly.   Probably an ideal way, which I will likely figure out more as I re-assemble it ("Oh yeah-- it would have been easier if I...")   Took it to a local shop for welding of one of the bogie wheel mounts.  On disassembly the rack sort of thing (schematic would be so useful) that connects from the mower to pivot points forward (two bars with adjusting bolts, joined by a rod) separated--- had been obviously "bubble gum welded" in the past... now being properly welded with MIG or TIG.

One blade bolt came off with a bit of working, but the other bolt refused to budge and started to round... I instructed the shop to losen that for me as well-- they say they can more easily with an impact wrench.  Will sharpen the blades, which are quite marked (ever been sharpened?)   Found the mower to be structurally very sound.  Well-made machine for the long haul.

I appreciate any assistance that your acquired wisdom can direct to my queries on fluids.  Thanks!

Re: Oil/grease/ etc.

YamaDog
I think that is all the grease fittings most bearings are sealed on this mower

do not fill engine full of oil you will blow  your gaskets out  there is a dip stick that pulls out of your oil plug that has fill marks on it

just make sure you use hydrostatic fluid

the mower blade are yamaha blade you can not put generic blade on this mower

good luck

Re: Oil/grease/ etc.

Corksailor
Thanks.  I know about the dipstick, have done mechanical work for 50 years.  Just planning an oil change.  The blades are good, just the edges badly nicked and dulled.  Will sharpen them and balance them.

FWP

Re: Oil/grease/ etc.

tom rut
I use amsoil 10w-30 small engine oil. Regular oil breakes down fast in small air cooled engins. Use 10w 50 amsoil syn. in hy. drive and final drive. worked for over 20 years.