PTO wont engage-yt 6700

leinad
Has anyone else had this problem?, after a season of non use, I started up my trusty 6700 and flipped the toggle switch to engage the blades and.... the blades don't engage.  any suggestions.   plz help

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

rattosh51
Seems to be a lot of these this year.
With the tractor off, turn the keyswitch to the "on" position, without starting it.
Flip the PTO switch on and make sure you hear an audible click. That will be the PTO coming on.
If there is no audible click, I would suspect the switch itself.
If that's ok, then you probably want to check your seat safety switch, and make sure it is working
properly. That would keep the PTO from coming on.
If those are ok, then check the voltage at the battery, and make sure it is between 13.3-14.5 volt
running at full throttle. This will tell you if the charging system is ok. Lower voltage will not be enough
to turn on the PTO.
Let us know what you find...

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

leinad
rattosh, thanks for the ideas and now that you mention it, my batt. IS completely shot as I had to jump start it so Im not sure if the available voltage to the pto is the same once its running with a dead batt.(???) anyway I have an ohmmeter so Ill check the other switches that you mentioned. And let you know. Any idea how many remaining yt6700s are still working? or how many were produced? I was surprised when I bought   mine (new) that as nice as this tractor was, (22h.p) that it didnt have a hydraulic p.t.o. to power other accessories. Thanks again for your help, Ill let you know what I find.

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

valdez
Does anyone know of "tap" on the hydraulic pump one could use for hydraulic accessory power?  Just wondering!

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

No idea on the number produced, or left, and not sure on any tap on the hydraulics.  Don't think they were built for more hydraulic accessories. I think Yamaha basically went with a well-built lawn tractor for a few years, with optional snowblowing capabilities. I
think they got out of the market in the early 90's when competition get too tough, plus it was a bit out
of their product line.

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

leinad
Rattosh- you are a genius, I replaced my battery and spark plugs and it worked beautifully, I guess that even after jump starting, there wasnt enough voltage to operate the pto clutch??????  Thanks again

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

rattosh51
Glad you got it going again. No genius here, just prior experience...
Have fun!

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

leinad
Thanks again, I think Im the only guy in my neighborhood who washes and waxes his mower and wears a full coverage helmet while mowing!   lol   go Yamaha

Re: PTO wont engage-yt 6700

rattosh51
Found a good manual on the PTO...enjoy!

electricclutchtesting%5B1%5D.pdf