Quick Engine Swap (YT3600)

beulahcutter
Hi All, thought id share this with you...this was no Formula 1 Pit stop but as you can see i managed to cut the lawn first.
I had an oil leak that was a gasket at the front end of engine ...but the engine held out until i had cut the lawn first. Thank you old engine!.

It was then into the garage for a swap...Lucky enough i had an engine that i bought a few years back that i knew worked ok as i started it before i took some bits off the donor machine...it hadn't run for 4+ years though!

Out with the old...and in with the new.  a few moments of oh no...what...it wouldn't start straight away..that was not surprising looking at the spark plug condition...the carb was very cruddy so swapped that also. Tried without exhaust and PTO and after three turns it went...so pieced it together and off we went...and cut the lawn again for good measure...sweet.

Moral of the story is this...that even after lying in my garage corner for several years outta sight, the engine is working perfectly. Need an oil change though...Goes to show how good these things are!...Its a pitty the old engine gave up....but that was only a gasket that allowed the oil to spill out so the oil warning came on!...must try and get a replacement so i have a spare engine for next time..

It took 1 hour from start to finish including a couple of incoming calls that i had new to go in and old to come out
Stuart....AKA
Beulahcutter
Norfolk
Uk

Re: Quick Engine Swap (YT3600)

cr250
These engines are famous for the oil leak on the upper case cover, easy fix is to clean the area real good, and JB weld the area. I hate to see more of these great machines dieing!
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: Quick Engine Swap (YT3600)

rattosh51
Nice job, Stuart,  on a quick engine swap, and good planning!
My 6800 has the lower crank seal leak, (also common) but luckily isn't too bad yet.
On the to-do list for me.