Starting up a YT3600 after 8 years of sitting in a shed...

Starting up a YT3600 after 8 years of sitting in a shed...

Matt
Hi fellow YT3600 owners!

I proudly became owner of a YT3600 but as you can read in the subject, it hasn't moved for a decade...

What would be the things to do/to check prior to starting it up?
I've just bought a brand new battery to start with, what next?

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Belgium

Re: Starting up a YT3600 after 8 years of sitting in a shed...

Matt
Before trying to start it up I tried rolling it out the shed...

To my surprise the tractor didn't move although the parking brake was off and the shift bar stood in neutral.
The seat security knob underneath the seat was pulled out and battery not connected.

I lifted the tractor from the rear bracket and both back wheels turn freely.

I guess the transmission is stuck in forward or reverse modus while the shift bar moves freely from forward to neutral to reverse and back...

The mower height adjust lever is stuck but I guess that doesn't affect the riding abilities?
Anyone knows how to unstuck this?

The parking brake is stuck as well, luckily in the off stand; anyone knows how to unstuck this?

Looking forward to some helpfull reactions! ;-)

Re: Starting up a YT3600 after 8 years of sitting in a shed...

cr250
Matt, lift the seat, there is a knob to the right of the storage box, lift this, it should roll.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: Starting up a YT3600 after 8 years of sitting in a shed...

rattosh51
As cr250 said, there is the transmission "free-wheel" knob that you have to lift to get the tranny to roll.
As for bringing it back to life and the parking brake--

Change oil & filter and tranny fluid--takes regular 10W30 motor oil for both, or upgrade to synthetic.
Fill tires to recommended pressure.
Replace spark plug, air filter and battery. Clean up battery cables/connectors.
Empty any old gas in tank, if any. Replace gas line and fuel filter.
Give carb a good spray down with carb cleaner, inside & out.
Stuck parking brake--you'll have to get underneath the tractor with some PB Blaster or WD40 and try to
free it. I imagine it's rusted after sitting so long.
Fill with fresh gas & give it a try...
Joe

Re: Starting up a YT3600 after 8 years of sitting in a shed...

Joe
What are the numbers/ID of oil filter ? Thanks YT3600

Re: Starting up a YT3600 after 8 years of sitting in a shed...

cr250
The Yt 3600 has no oil filter, its splash system.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.