Time for a new Battery

beulahcutter
Hi all can anyone point me in the right direction with the 12v battery. I'm certain it should be 12v 32AH, but as there are no markings on the current battery and never had to change previously....is this correct ?

Stuart
Woodton
Norfolk
UK
Stuart....AKA
Beulahcutter
Norfolk
Uk

Re: Time for a new Battery

rattosh51
Stuart,
 In my manual for the 5700/6700/6800, it states 12V 26AH.

Re: Time for a new Battery

beulahcutter
as ever thanks very much. however....l visited a motor factor earlier today whos advice was to bring him the old one.

stuart
Stuart....AKA
Beulahcutter
Norfolk
Uk

Re: Time for a new Battery

rattosh51
I think any genaral purpose lawn tractor battery will do.

Re: Time for a new Battery

RAB5050
    A good reminder for everyone,just in case your old battery is still chargeable,

 One of the best pieces of advice I ever learned in here is that do not give up on your battery just because the voltage has dropped to low for the charger to bring it back up. There must be thousands of batteries thrown away because the charger wont kick in and one thinks its toast.

 ALL YOU HAVE DO IS HOOK UP AN EXTRA BATTERY IN PARAELL WITH THE ONE THATS DOWN, THE CHARGER WILL RECOGINIZE THE GOOD BATTERY AND KICK IN AND PRESTO YOUR BACK IN BUSINESS.

  I have saved several batteries this way no problem at all,I shudder to think how many batteries get tossed for this reason and the guy that sells you the new one not only makes a sale but charges up the old one and sells it as well.

Re: Time for a new Battery

beulahcutter
Thanks guys- RAB5050 Rattosh51...Thanks for the advice on the battery...I did try that series link bit (no luck), so then got a local guy to test the battery ....we found a couple of cells down so went for a new one....when we took the old battery out we found a ticket on it that suggested it was purchased in 1992 so it had done well we think....all works fine now and nearly starts first turn!
Just need to figure out how to stop it running off when engine on and parked....as my other post a couple of days ago.

rgds

stuart
Stuart....AKA
Beulahcutter
Norfolk
Uk

Re: Time for a new Battery

RAB5050
Just to clarify about about bringing back a good battery that has drained down to a low voltage level.
 You need to connect the good battery and the one with the low voltage (in parallel) with the charger,not in series or it wont work.
 That advice I learned in here saved me a lot of money over the years because I have about five machines that sit all winter and the batteries would run low just from sitting. I am just a backyard mechanic and as we all know we don't always take care of batteries over the winter.

 can you clarify this sentence?

   (Just need to figure out how to stop it running off when
engine on and parked...)

Re: Time for a new Battery

beulahcutter
Yeah sorry we did run it in parallel (not series as I stated) but even with a mechanic friend of mine who knew exactly what you were saying, we still couldn't get it to hold charge. I did manage to exchange some other unused parts for the new battery so not all expense.
However, we used your suggested technique on my Land Rover Discovery's battery and "hey presto" it worked... so thanks for the tip....potentially saved me couple of hundred £££.

On the parking brake issue...I'll explain more.... When the engine is running and the foot brake is applied along with the red handled handbrake and I get off the machine, it creeps forwards.
I saw this morning that Rattosh51 has suggested that I look at the hydro linkage unit to see if any adjustment there. Although there should be something to adjust on the red handled handbrake?

Rgds

Stuart
IMAG0634+%281%29.jpg
IMAG0633+%281%29.jpgIMAG0635.jpg
Stuart....AKA
Beulahcutter
Norfolk
Uk

Re: Time for a new Battery

rattosh51
Nice yard-cart you have there Stuart. I'm assuming the orange one is a sprayer? Looks like it can hold
quite a bit of liquid. How much area do you have to spray?
The owner's manual isn't much help for the creeping problem, as it only states-
 "To prevent the machine from creeping when in neutral, perform the following steps-
 1)Move the lever back & forth in the neutral slot area to find the neutral position.
 2)When you cannot stop creeping, consult Yamaha dealer."

 I'm sure there's an adjustment procedure, but can't tell by looking at the parts drawings.

Re: Time for a new Battery

beulahcutter
Thanks for the chart and the info.... I like the look of items 10 through 15 as there appears to be some adjustment nuts and threads. I do recall that if you put it in reverse whilst the parking brake is on it stops creeping. I will get a few bits off it and have a closer look. I have also noticed that the foot-brake is a little weak so maybe I look at that first.

The Trailer came to me as a total heap of scrap but gradually re built/improved/painted to what you see...The orange item is a British Built Westwood lawngroomer that not only sprays up to 10 gallons but also has a built in aerator and thatch comb at the back end which is very useful if you crave a fine lawn. Again it came as a heap of scrap but many Internet questions...persistence and a few £££ later, it now does the business. We have a small lawn of approx 2000M2 which is easily kept up to with these units.
Must say thanks once again as without it the YT3600 may also be heap of scrap!

Stuart

Stuart....AKA
Beulahcutter
Norfolk
Uk

Re: Time for a new Battery

rattosh51
I agree on the 10-15 looking to be the best area for an adjustment.
Sprayer & aerator/comb all in one...brilliant. I see why you restored it.
Here's a diagram for the brake area too...lots of springs to go bad in there. Good luck and tell us what you find out.

Re: Time for a new Battery

beulahcutter
Thanks for the info...even more to go on....for sure I will keep you posted.
Stuart....AKA
Beulahcutter
Norfolk
Uk

Re: Time for a new Battery

RAB5050
hey great news about the battery. I am not too sure about the other thing except to say it might be just an adjustment. I was given my machine for free so I have the luxury of tweaking things. I don't use it to cut the lawn but I pull a small trailer around the yard sometimes with kids in it. I set the drive speed limits to the very maximum (forward and reverse).Its too fast to cut with but more fun to drive,I almost feel guilty having a good deck and not using it but I don't think I should separate them. Its also handy to bypass the seat safty that way I can start it up and just walk along side,but not good if you have the deck on.