YT5700P Loss of Power

jholder
  I have had a YT5700 since new.   I am guessing its an early one since the serial number is 000263.
It has been a great mower but it now seems to be only running on one cylinder at times.   It is an
intermittent problem and comes and goes.  I know that the fuel pump is pumping fuel and I just took
the carburetor apart and cleaned it.  All seems well with the fuel system.  I thought I had the problem
isolated to the coil but after replacing that the problem is still there.  Every time I pull the plugs and
check them I have spark on both plugs.   I am fairly sure it is an electrical problem as I can smell the
un-burned fuel  coming out the exhaust when it is acting up.  Any advice on what to try next?

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

John Honeycutt
Check you piston rings and compression

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

cr250
Did you clean the carb? Mine was just acting up like that, starving for fuel, letting it run at idle let the carb fill back up. Cleaned it, back at 100%, Still may be an electrical issue.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

cr250
Sorry, just reread your write up, I'm going with a coil issue, did you replace both? Caps as well?
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

jholder
It goes from running like new to running on one cylinder and then back again like flipping a switch.
Sometimes runs for days perfectly.  I replaced the coil but did not yet replace the spark plug wires and
caps.   Will try that next I guess.  Carb is clean and looks perfect but I did not yet replace all the fuel
 lines yet they are still original but look fine.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

jholder
I replaced one of the coils after catching that one testing for spark and not seeing it.    I guess it is also possible that
the other coil has now gone bad as well but is intermittent and have not caught it yet.  The first coil was very hard to
find and very expensive so if that is the problem finding another one may be an issue.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

cr250
I have some coils if you would like, 651-760-4235
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

jholder
Thanks,  I need to do some more testing but may give you a call.  Heading out to the Indy 500 so it will be a couple
of weeks before I can get to it.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

rattosh51
jholder--you have kept that 5700 in pristine condition!! Very Nice.
Also may want to check the valve clearance if it's never been done...and replace fuel filter.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

jholder
Thanks for the advice.   I will change out the fuel filter and check the valves.   Had the problem again
yesterday and pulled the plugs only to see spark on both sides.  Spark was a bit weaker on the side
with the new coil which is odd.  After sitting overnight it started and ran perfectly today.  I am thinking
it is not the coils at this point but rather a loose wire someplace.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

jholder
I replaced the fuel filter, adjusted the valves, and put some sea foam in the gas.  It has run great the last
three times out so hopefully  problem solved.   Thanks for the help guys.

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

rattosh51
good to hear!!
Congrats on getting it going again
RAB

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

RAB
Any advice on how to clean the carburetor without removing it? I mean it surges like crazy and I am not about to take the carb off myself. Are there any additives I can spray at the air intake or add to the gas you might recommend?

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

rattosh51
RAB-
Seafoam is probably one of the better gas additives to add, so try that first.
Any basic carb cleaning spray around the linkages to the carb also help.
Surging can be fuel delivery, air leak or governor troubles.
Make sure the gas cap air vent is clean and open and air filter is clean too.
RAB

Re: YT5700P Loss of Power

RAB
OK ty for the advice I will give it a try I never would have thought of the gas cap vent so I can pull the cap to check quite easily. I was able to fix a surging problem in a brand new Tecumseh engine by cleaning one of the tiny jets. The carb on these Yamaha's look somewhat more or a challenge.