YT6800 For Sale

fayetteowner
I have a YT6800 for sale in Fayette county Texas.  Engine is strong.  Mower runs but quits after a while.  Let it cool a bit and mower goes again.  Any advice on this problem would be appreciated;  Clutch, coils, something else?

I have a photocopied manual, extra blades and an extra belt.

Email me at fayetteowner@gmail.com

Thanks
Bob

Re: YT6800 For Sale

Jeff S
I had same problem ( I believe) with my 6800. Does it start popping and missing? then it would run fine after cooling off.

Mine had a bad coil.
Original coils are N/A now.
So, I put on a new coil from a Yamaha YS240TB snowblower and it is fixed!

I tested this by pulling each coil wire while engine running to see which coil was bad. Obviously, use a stick, gloves, French fry, etc.. something nonconductive to pull it off.

Jeff
1989 YT6800

Re: YT6800 For Sale

fayetteowner
Thanks for the information Jeff.  I don't remember it missing or popping, the deck just quits turning.  I'll have to investigate it.  Did yours pop and miss whether or not the mower was running or did it only happen when the mower was turning?

Seems odd to me that the V-twin engine on this lawn tractor was not used on other Yamaha applications?  If it was, has anyone tried to cross match coils, pto's, other engine parts, etc. to expand the potential parts pool?  I am sure a lot of others have thought of this.

Re: YT6800 For Sale

cr250
Sounds like a different issue, the PTO's are the same on all the Yamaha tractors, I would try adjusting it, search for the procedure.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: YT6800 For Sale

fayetteowner
I agree CR250.

Yesterday I got it out and mowed a pasture to see how long It would go before it quit cutting.  After about 22 minutes it just locked up and killed the engine..  The last five minutes or so, I noticed a putrid burning smell.  I believe it was from the PTO.  But never once did it miss or cut out while I was cutting.

I disengaged the PTO and tried to start it.  It turned over slowly like the battery was low, I put on my battery pack and it started up.  The battery should have been charged since it ran for 20+ mins before. The battery is a year old.

I drove it back to the shop and engaged the PTO, worked fine.  I engaged/disengaged the PTO several times and it worked every time.  Something is heating up, slipping, and locking up.....I suspect the PTO clutch.

I have adjusted the PTO.  It helps some but as in this test still quits.

Someone with more mechanical ability than me could probably figure it out.  But if it is the clutch, like the coils, cannot be found or are prohibitively expensive.  And I am not aware of any cross matching to another brand.

That is why I am selling it.  I don't need it as I now have a zero turn.  This YT6800 is a good machine and needs to go to someone who has experience with them.  It is just like having an old car, finding replacement parts is getting more difficult.

I want $250 for everything.  It is for sale.............................in Central Texas, Fayette county.

Bob

Re: YT6800 For Sale

cr250
Wish I was closer! Your description seems too lead too a deck issue, plugged up, as the PTO won't stall the engine that I'm aware of.  A running 6800 should bring $250 easily. Good luck with the sale
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: YT6800 For Sale

fayetteowner
The PTO will seize like an old auto A/C compressor won't it??  Matter of fact, I've been told that trying to xref this clutch to an old auto A/C (GM is memory serves me) might lead to a working replacement.  The adjustment capability would probably be lost but if it worked ......

Not sure where you are but the Bluebonnets are in full bloom here in TX right now and it is a good year for them.  So the drive would be nice.  And Ill throw in a free tank of gas for the trip home.................unless you are in a 1 ton dually with saddle tanks,

Isn't that your group of units on the home page of this site?  Impressive, and another YT6800 would be a nice addition to your "stable".

The deck wasn't clogged because I wasn't mowing anything of size.  The deck is loud and the bearings are probably shot in some of the spindles but I don't think the deck seized.

Just the opinion of a novice. Thanks

Bob

Re: YT6800 For Sale

cr250
I'm thinking the deck is your issue, once it warms up, a bearing seizes. Its odd that it works after cooling down. I would pull the belt and spin each spindle, and see if that might be the issue. I believe if the PTO locks up it is just like being engaged, which would just turn the blades Thanks for the offer, just busier than a 1 legged man in an ass kicking competition!
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: YT6800 For Sale

Jeff S
My 6800 also had really loud deck bearings i replaced last year. Sooo much quieter and smoother now!

Also, I forgot, when my engine started to cut out, you could turn off the PTO and the load and it would stop popping & missing.

I wish you were closer too!

Re: YT6800 For Sale

fayetteowner
Are the bearings pretty easy to obtain?  What about cost?

I want to sell it but if my problem is just a bearing or two, it might be to my advantage to get it working without fail.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Bob

Re: YT6800 For Sale

Jeff S
The bearings are a basic standard size. Most likely any bearing shop will have them. Not a fancy Yamaha one off. Dual bearings in each spindle hub separated by a metal spacer.

You'll Probably want an arbor press or hyd. press to get them out/in though.

Re: YT6800 For Sale

fayetteowner
Thanks Jeff.

I pulled the deck today and one of the pulleys is a bit noisy when I spin it.  A couple others feel rough when I spin them.  To change the bearing the pulley has to be separated by drilling out the rivets.  Might be easier to replace the pulley/bearing assembly.  It is a cost vs time issue.

I'll go to the local mower shop and see if they can xref the pulley(s) or bearing(s).

You guys are really helpful, thanks.  But I'd still rather sell the unit.....................................

Re: YT6800 For Sale

Bob Bar
Hi this Jeff .im having the same issue cant find a coil for my yt 6800....
ive been every where and no one has  old stock......... so a snow blower coil worked!!!! great , how did you come up with the
 snow blower coil ,im very interested!!!!! . good for you...... does it look the same???? ...and how much was it??!!!!!
..... Jeff your the man ........ that # was YS240TB THAT RIGHT!!!!!!!...... thanks so much..... cant wait to get her fired up again...
im up in Canada .... so we dont get to much summer ....... best to you....B Barnaby
any other information regarding the yamaha yt6800 send to me please bobbarnaby@rocketmail.com ... best to ya all...

Re: YT6800 For Sale

Lou
Are you selling your YT or just trying to figure out the problem with it?
Lou
lfd441@gmail.com

Re: YT6800 For Sale

fayetteowner

Lou, yes it is still for sale.  Hasn't been started for a while, just been
sitting in my barn.  Where are you located? I am in Central Texas.

really want to get rid of it because it is not doing me any good nor is it
doing the mower any good just sitting.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Lou [via Yamaha Lawn Tractor Fan club] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you selling your YT or just trying to figure out the problem with it?
Lou
[hidden email]

http://yamaha-lawn-tractor-fan-club.996269.n3.nabble.com/YT6800-For-Sale-tp1980p2568.html
To unsubscribe from YT6800 For Sale, click here.
NAML

Re: YT6800 For Sale

phenisator
Hello Guys
how can I become a member of the Yamaha Fan Club?
I bought an original YT 6800 which doesn t run.
I am German and living in France
Thanks for your help
Peter

Re: YT6800 For Sale

Hugh
Call me if yt6800 is still available? 336 926 7869. Thanls

Re: YT6800 For Sale

phenisator
I bought the same tractor like you in France.
I try now to fix it. Can you perhaps send me via mail your manual. It would be fine.
Thanks
Peter