carb. cleaning

DW

carb. cleaning

DW
plan on giving the carb. on my 6800 a good cleaning since it looks like it has never been removed. seems like gaskets would be a problem to locate. is there any gaskets that might be a problem to make at home while doing this project? thanks.

Re: carb. cleaning

rattosh51
Don't believe there's any special ones. If you have the know-how, go for it!
DW

Re: carb. cleaning

DW
my concern is the fuel bowl gasket. it's been on there since about 1990. will probably turn to crap when i remove the bowl. i have and can make gaskets but i'll have to remove the bowl first and would not like to run into maybe another gasket that needs replaced. slim chance of finding new gaskets. did replace the fuel line and fuel filter and cleaned the tank. bought a new fuel pump off the bay and it is just like the one on there now. was only 15.00. have not replaced it yet because of the "if it's not broke" saying. maybe at the end of the mowing season i'll put it on but for now it runs very well.
RAB

Re: carb. cleaning

RAB
My 3600 is surging like crazy but I don't have any idea where to start and like you said these machines are over thirty years old. The fuel pump is rock solid and it starts fine but I have to keep the throttle in the choke range to keep it running smoothly.
 Just a note to anyone about the drive unit, I was able to replace the hydraulic oil but I never did swap out the oil in the lower drive. I did pull the plug and the oil inside had turned to a gel,its still like that and it runs fine but it needs to be changed.

 I have a deck with new blades good bearings with the belt and the clutch is still on the mower. I only use my machine to move trailers so the deck has been sitting in my shop for ten years. Anyone needing these parts can have them if they want to pick them up.

Re: carb. cleaning

cr250
Did you try adding Seafoam as rottuss suggested? If so you can try dumping the bowl without pulling the carb. I always pull the carb.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.
DW

Re: carb. cleaning

DW
ran seafoam through it a month or so ago. looked like i was fogging for skeeds. this 6800 runs very good but starts very hard. maybe a carb cleaning (which will happen at the end of season) will help starting.