disconnect PTO while tractor is off

elmtree
Hello-
  I have a problem where my YT3600 quit running while the PTO was engaged...now the engine wont turn over or even click.  I want to know if i can disconnect the PTO manually some how?  I think the engine is on a strain with the cutter activated and cant start like that.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
P.S.  I am overdue for a carb cleaning, would that make a difference related to the power issue?

thanks

Re: disconnect PTO while tractor is off

rattosh51
Sounds like maybe a safety switch got activated?? Seat switch working ok?
A dirty carb can affect performance, but usually will bog down, but not completely stop the engine, unless
totally plugged up. Won't even click sounds like other problems...start by measuring the battery and making sure it is fully charged.

Re: disconnect PTO while tractor is off

Yamahajim
I just walked out to my garage to verify my first thought after reading your post..I turned the key on my yt3600 and yt6800 w/o starting it,flipped the pto switch on/off a few times and I heard it clicking on/off. Whether or not the clicking actually engages/disengages the pto,,I dont know.  I'm thinking you might have batt/elec problems.
Rattosh51 is right on about the carb. When you get the carb cleaned,install an inline fuel filter if there isnt already.Your carb will thank you for it.
I bought my yt3600 from a guy who said "It just died while I was mowing" 2 yrs prior..So I bought it for $100 hoping it was something simple n cheap to get it running again. Brought it home dead,trip to walmart for a new battery,ahhhh turns over but no spark,yay. A day later the engine is out on my workbench taken apart with a broken flywheel magnet.Screw came loose.Must have been why it died, pieces of magnet were everywhere inside. Had to order a new flywheel $380 from local yamaha dealr; Couldnt just order the lil magnet thats are held on the flywheel with 2 lil screws that prolly cost about $20 :)...Took about a month and $700 in parts(flywheel,deck wheels,air filter oil,rear tires,belts) before my yt3600 ran like new again. sorry for the long story, I'm crossing my fingers that your flywheel is ok.Goodluck
Got Questions?Ask.
Jim

Re: disconnect PTO while tractor is off

rattosh51
Jim,
 Good post on how to check the PTO...it should click on & off with the key in the "on" position.