engage pto

nascarpapa6
Hi I have a YT6800 and when I flip the switch to engage pto the engine stops. This is a shutdown like the key has been shut off. This happens when I am sitting on the seat, parking brk set or not set. the pto works if I unplug it and hot wire the pto it works but then the charge light comes on..Any ideas?? also does anybody know how to see if charging system is working correctly??

Re: engage pto

rattosh51
Best way to see if charging system is working is to have tractor at full throttle and measure the voltage at the battery. It should be above about 13.3v
 I guess I would start there, 'cause if you don't have a good charge going, other things go wrong. Usually doesn't shut down the engine though, just won't turn on. Usually the seat safety switch is not working properly. Make sure it is turning on & off when you put pressure on the seat with a meter and the switch unplugged. Sometimes the connections get a little corroded over time too, so make sure they're ok.

Re: engage pto

nascarpapa6
thx, but those are not the issues, all switches working properly and power is 13.1 @ idle but really no increase at full. I just bought this tractor and I can see maybe a wire is not connected but can't seem to find out where and without a diagram it looks like I'll be taking the harness apart to find the problem, I have not the slightest idea as to what the other two wires do on the PTO switch, all my other electric pto tractors only have 2 wires at the pto switch. if I disconnect the pto plug at the pto and throw the switch it still shuts the engine of as if the key is being turned off so I suspect there is some other safety I am not aware of other than the brk and seat. Any more ideas I can hot wire the pto @ its plug and it works just fine..

Re: engage pto

rattosh51
Brake and seat are the only 2 safety switches. From my OM wiring diagram, looks like there should be 4 wires going into the pto wire connector. A R/W one from the main switch, a Br one also from the main switch which connects to a bunch of other things, a G one from the clutch and seat relay, and a Sb one from the brake pedal switch. I didn't realize there was a seat relay in there, so that could be a cause.

Re: engage pto

nascarpapa6
Rattosh51 buddy, is there any way you could scan that and send it to me nascarpapa6@yahoo.com plz?
These old girls a a fine piece of equiptment and if I can't figure this out soon the boss is gonna tell me I should have bought a new one and not wasted my money and there is no way I wanna hear that. I have already ordered parts for the deck so I am almost to the point where she is gonna let me hear it..

Re: engage pto

rattosh51
nascar,
 I do not have a scanner, or I would. Best I could do would be to copy and fax it, if you have a fax number to send it to...

Re: engage pto

nascarpapa6
This post was updated on .
Rat,
I just turned on my fax, not sure if it will work so I will leave it on for the next hour because it interferes with my landline or send me an email to let me know what time you could send the fax,. Thx
Nascarpapa