oil leak on yt6700

2fast4u
My YT6700 seams to be leaking oil from under  the bottom of the motor does any one have a idea where the most likely place it's comming from. Anyone else had this problem amd what was the cure? Thanks Tommy Jordan

Re: oil leak on yt6700

rattosh51
Tommy,
 Well, it must be coming from the engine, so you have to find out where. Oil filter not sealing, or one of the seals on the engine is most likely the cause.

Re: oil leak on yt6700

2fast4u
After more checking It looks like it's the botton crank shaft seal. You ever had to replace  one. Looks like I will pull the motor off and repair it. You got any sugestions  that might help me in doing this job or any thing I might need to watch out for when i do this job. Hope the pullys come off the crank easy! Thanks Tommy

Re: oil leak on yt6700

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
Here is a parts picture to assist you, if you let me know which parts you require I will get you price and availability for you.
Good luck with the repair
Speedy

Re: oil leak on yt6700

2fast4u
got the motor off today had to make a special pully puller bolt to get the pully off the crankshaft. Looks like the seal is the problem.

Re: oil leak on yt6700

jd*19
I am a newbie to the site, but i negotiated a 3600 today in pretty good shape except for an oil leak. looks ugly (the leak) but I do have mechanical abilities to try and diagnose it. can you suggest a good place to source gaskets, seals and so on?

thanks

Joe

Re: oil leak on yt6700

rattosh51
Tommy, glad you got it off ok. I think someone did post something about doing ths, but it was a long time ago, so you'd have to read thru the older stuff. Pretty sure it's like any other crankshaft seal replacement.
You can probably google it and get some tips on how to do it generally. Let us know how it goes!

Joe,
 The post above with the parts drawing is one place to get them, or look at the post called "parts drawings" for a couple other places.

Re: oil leak on yt6700

2fast4u
 Oil seal on the crank was the problem. Good thing is that you can get the seal out with out disassembling the motor. I got it all back together and it works great. Just a lot of time to clean everything up from the seal leaking for several  months/years. Now for the bad news I also have a YT6800 that I use at my lake house and it has the same leak so since I now know how I guess I will do that one too.  One more thing You will need a yamaha special pulley removal tool; to to remove the belt pulley from the crankshaft a regular jaw puller wont work. The only way to get this pulley off is with this special tool to pull this pulley from the inside it threads into the pulley and pushes it off the crankshaft from the inside. Next is to fix my yt6800 oil leak. Over the years the rubber crank seal got hard and briddle and the lips on the seal were no longer plyable. Thanks  guys! Tommy Jordan

Re: oil leak on yt6700

2fast4u
yt6800 oil seal installed and back together , No Leaks now!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: oil leak on yt6700

nascarjay
I just notice that my YT6800 is developed a leak also might be the same problem that you had Im going to clean it up real good and try to see where its comming from anyways since you know how to fix this if this is what it is could you tell me step by step how you did yours and where i could get that polley tool that I will need any help would be GREAT thanks  Jay

Re: oil leak on yt6700

2fast4u
complete motor has to be removed to replace the crank seal. The only good thing is that the motor doesn't have to come apart to install seal. Not shur where to get the puller bolt/ I made one with a long rod and a bolt that screwed into the center of the pulley.

Re: oil leak on yt6700

obel38
Hi,

I don't succeed to remove the crankshaft pulley, please could you show me the tool you made for removing the pulley from your motor, and mybe you could give me the thread type of the rod

Thanks

Olivier

Re: oil leak on yt6700

nascarjay
Do you know where I can get a CDI unit for my YT6800 thanks

Re: oil leak on yt6700

2fast4u
get a good quality ( extra hard) metric bolt  14 mm with a thread pitch of 1.5 threads  app two inches long. You will also need a solid steel rod 3/8 inch in dia. 4 inches long. After you remove the pulley holding bolt insert the 3/8 rod up inside the hole where the pulley bolt came from then screw the 14 mm  1.5 thread pitch bolt into the threads in the pulley thghten the bolt extreamly good them tap the hex head of the bolt with a good size hammer and the pulley should pop off if not try tighening the bolt some more and hit the hex on the bolt again repete till the pulley pops off. I have used this setup to remove the pulley on my yt6700 and my yt6800 let me know how you come out. The pulley is on a tapered shaft and has no key or splines. be shur the shaft is good and clean when you re install the pulles as the taper is all that binds the pulley to the shaft. Tommy Jordan

Re: oil leak on yt6700

gordonr
  If your oil leak is not severe you could try engine oil stop leak  I have had good luck with it on other motors  you would only have to use about 1/4 can it softens  the seals and helps them seal

Re: oil leak on yt6700

Martin
hello a have a yt6800 and don't know where find the seal cran shaft part. you know where i can order it? mine is also leaking...

Re: oil leak on yt6700

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Administrator
Good morning,
You can see all your YT-6800 tractor parts here.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yamahagenuineparts/showmodel.asp?Type=12&make=yamahaope&a=197&vehicleid=1900-Yamaha-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-YT6800P

We ship world wide !

Speedy
www.YamahaGenuineParts.com