pto and oil seal

DW

pto and oil seal

DW
ok here go's.got this 6800 in may and was hoping it would get me through the season so i could really go over it in the off season. did not happen. the pto went out last week and i had a Troy Bilt delivered last week. not so bad as i need a back up since i live in the country. i'll get to quality of both mowers later. i'm going to tell everybody what i'm doing and how i do it. you might do things different and i'm always open to ideas and suggestions. step one was to get the mower up high enough to work on it which i did. next was to remove the deck. i started at the front and wrote everything down on paper and included every hairpin clip removal. was not bad at all. next was to remove the pto. it was very greasy and wet from a oil seal leak. no wonder it went out. there is a member on here that has rebuilt his and made it a little better and i have contacted him about mine. thats my first option. don't know if mine can be rebuilt because the pulley seems to be broken off and just spins around with a bunch of play all around.  i have never messed with a pto before so i don't know the ropes about them. i'll have to repair that oil leak on the bottom of the crank which means the engine will have to come out. would appreciate the part number for that bottom seal so i can cross reference it with the many seal mfg. out there also i see where a member used a Stens 255-507 pto with the only difference was a slightly wider pulley which can be solved with a Goodyear b68 belt. mower is now waiting on me to get the parts and get moving. this is the first step and i'll write everything down about the next steps. now about that quality with the riders out there.all you have to do is open the hood on the yamaha and open the hood on the mtd's out there and you'll know the difference. hope this is not too long but i would like to get it right first time. i have a small engine repair diploma on my garage wall but never worked on a yamaha and since i'm retired for a few years have not worked on any new mowers for quite a while. i'll start my next move when i hear about the state of my current pto and keep everybody posted.   thanks,    Denny

Re: pto and oil seal

rattosh51

Oil Seal
93102-35191-00

Website for parts--

https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a2bff870021f60a126bf/crankcase

Yeah, the MTD's are throw away mowers, too bad most of them are nowadays!