story of 2 YT3600's

mountainman
This post was updated on .
Strange story' first I found on craigs list a snow blower for a YT3600 3 years ago. It was in great shape so I bought it for $150, 1 year later I adapted it to a Sears garden tractor with great success, plus I built a cab for it to keep Me warm and dry. This past May I found a Yt3600 with mower deck on craigs list for $100 not running, bought it for $80. Then in June again on craigs list I saw a YT3600 with a snow plow, chains and suitcase weights not running for $ 300, bought it for $250. First tractor had a bad starter, but had a brand new carb. Second Tractor had a badly gunked carb. bad fuel pump and fuel tank with oil in it, probably what caused all the other problems. swapped the bad stuff for the good and ended up with a sweet running tractor with a snow plow for $330. plus a parts tractor.  I'll keep the snow blower on the Sears so I will have a choice as slush doesn't blow to easily. Before I bought the snow blower I never even heard of Yamaha tractors, now I love them How sweet they are. I'll have to figure out a cab for it for the winter. Will post Pic's of YT3600

Re: story of 2 YT3600's

rattosh51
Nice fab work on that blower and cab to the Sears tractor, Mountainman!
The blowers are pretty rare indeed, think it's only the 2nd time I've ever seen one!
That was some good bargain buys for sure.

Re: story of 2 YT3600's

mountainman
Thank you  Rattosh 51 for the kind words,,It truly was a lucky find all around.  having a parts tractor is truly key to running a vintage tractor, With the scarcity of replacement parts and the price of available new parts the parts tractor is invaluable.

Re: story of 2 YT3600's

Terry
I have a YT3600 with a bad starter. What is involved to replace the starter? So far, it looks like I have to remove motor to get at the starter bolts. Do I also have to remove the drive shaft? If so, can I just pull the motor forward or do I have to remove the drive shaft at the rear? If so, what is needed to get at the drive shaft bolts?
Thanks, Terry

Re: story of 2 YT3600's

mountainman
you do have to pull the engine the drive shaft is a spline and just slips out.  not too hard always take a series of pictures to get every thing back in the right place.   hope this helps.