yamaha yt6800 pto

ravsram
just got my yt6800 out for the 2009 mowing season and went to turn the pto switch on  and nothing happened. checked connections and all are good. switch possibly bad? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Re: yamaha yt6800 pto

rattosh51
raysram,
 Yes the switch could be bad, or the battery may not be charged enough to turn the PTO on, or the
voltage regulator may be failing. You'll need to get out your electrical meter and take some measurements.

Re: yamaha yt6800 pto

KurtinKentucky
My YT6800 is basicly doing the same thing but will come on after about a 3 - 5 second delay.
I took it to a dealer to have the PTO clutch break checked and was told the windings are wore out.
I replaced the PTO switch last year and checked it again this time and it is testing good.
Bad news for me is the PTO clutch break is a discontinued part and I'm have so far been unsuccessful in finding the part or any drawing specifications about the part.
If you have any luck please let me know.

Re: yamaha yt6800 pto

Meofouse
I've been lucky so far with the PTO on the 6700 but the way mine seems to operate is that it is an electrical clutch not unlike that of an air conditioning pump clutch on a car. An electromagnet that engages the components when you hit the switch or the system calls for the cool air. If all else fails would it be possible for you to obtain a A/C clutch from an auto boneyard and fabricate the frame to fit the replacement part I did this once for a remote salt spreader.
Just and alternative if you get desparate.

Re: yamaha yt6800 pto

YamaWidow
New here, have a yt6800, and it is tempermental in her old age, we engage PTO at about 3/4 throttle and then kick it up to full throttle and it PTO will kick in. Close to the 4-5 second delay other reply mentioned.

Re: yamaha yt6800 pto

rattosh51
Your clutch must also be adjusted correctly, there is an air gap that has to be a specific distance.
I believe it is .018 inches. You have to measure the gap with a feeler gauge.
Along the side of the clutch near each nut, is a slot, (three total) that's where the feeler gage slips in. Slip the feeler gage into one of the slots, and tighten or loosen the adjacent hex nut until you achieve a slight drag on the feeler gage. Repeat the process at the other two locations. Then recheck all three in order until no further adjustment is needed to feel a slight drag on the feeler gage.
 You should also check your charging system and make sure it is putting out a steady 13-13.6 volts at the battery. If it is varying with the throttle, then your voltage regulator may be bad.

Re: yamaha yt6800 pto

supercub
I have had some success in replacing the bearings and adjusting the air gap. If the coil is not burned up it is possible to salvage the clutch. supercub

Re: yamaha yt6800 pto

obel38
Hi,

I have a Yamaha YT6800 lawn tractor, i broke the governor, inside engine,

I haven't found solution to remove the pulley mounted on crankshaft, i tried with a extractor and flame.

Do you know how is it fitted, or maybe you have a tip to remove it ?

Please,

Let me know

Thanks

Olivier