tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

DW

tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

DW
this mowing season will be over in a couple months here in central ohio. lets hear from all you yamaha mower people about how the season went with your mower this year. i have a 6800 and a troy built. my troy built is about 2 years old and i find myself using the yamaha just about all the time now. i'll use the troybuilt in an emergency. getting off the yamaha and then on the troy built (which i do every week) is like night and day. troy built used to have a good name but they have followed in line with the rest of the junk mowers on the market. my neighbor has an old JD and a new JD. he says the old one is much better than the newer one. so lets hear it from you guys and dolls that do the mowing. maybe we can help with common problems.

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamaWidow
We are still using our 6800 to mow a few acres in Central Illinois. Hubby has found replacements for blades and belts. She has had a hard life, usually mowing about 4 acres once a week - sometimes more often. She hits a few fence posts a week and has been charged by a 4Horned trophy ram (with dents). Have had her longer than 2 of the 3 boys that learned to back trailers on her. Youngest son just bought 9 acres and asked if we might be thinking of a new mower... so he can have her. She is not pretty anymore, but she is solid and dependable and does a great job. When we were young and poor, she pulled fence in tight spots, plowed a long rough driveway and was easier for me to use to move feed/hay than the old Ferguson that didnt like me. A few years ago we found a second 6800 and for awhile they were both mowing, now the replacement is just a parts mower. We now have a JD 3038e (replaced the '51 Fergie) with a Woods finish mower, the Yamaha still mows better! Unless I have really let things go (due to rain) I choose her over the JD. I do 90% of the mowing, yard, barn lots, a steep ditch (always feel safe) and a pass or two on the road side of the fence rows to avoid the weed whip. I dont do any hand mowing or trimming, we have tailored our mowing to what she will do and make it look nice (fences are set just high enough I can swipe the deck under them, trees are mulched). And it does look nice, not just cut. If the barn lots arent muddy, she will make them look like a golf course. The neighbor with about the same mowing space has been thru multiple Cubs. On rare occasions, she will cut out and idle down, if I am patient she will correct herself, we havent been able to fully fix the issue. Regular oil changes (he only uses one type of filter on her) and some minor maintenance, she runs like a top, she has taken more abuse than any other tool/machine we own, 4 wheelers and tractors included. Everytime I mow, it creates a nice supper conversation about her going another week and how nice things look when she is done, she is kind of part of the family! Every once in a while we will look at new mowers getting parts for something else, then we move along - nothing to see here!
DW

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

DW
great,great story yamawidow. last summer i pulled the troy built and yamaha out in the yard and had my wife hop on one after the other and mow a strip through the yard. my wife does not mow ever and is not a machinery person at all and she could not believe the difference between the two.the troy built was new and the yamaha was probably a 89 or 90 model. i have had a few riders in the last 35 years but nothing like the yamaha.you can tell they are solid by just opening the hood. i bought mine at a yard sale a couple years ago for 400 and thought i made a mistake by paying too much for a used rider. i don't think i made a mistake now. still has the original blades for now but i'm looking for replacements.

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamahaGenuineParts.com
Thats a great story...love it !

Speedy
YamahaGenuineParts.com

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamaWidow
The old girl would love a new AIR FILTER! Can you help???

tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

parts2

No problem….air filter assy is in stock, part # 13 in the parts picture.

You can purchase directly online, we ship worldwide

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yamahagenuineparts/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahaope&a=197&b=6&c=0&d=1900%20YT6800P%20AIR%20FILTER

Stephen Kelly

Parts & Accessories

905-385-5977 Ext. 202

KellysCycleCentre.com | YamahaGenuineParts.com

The old girl would love a new AIR FILTER! Can you help???

To start a new topic under Yamaha Lawn Tractor Fan club, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Yamaha Lawn Tractor Fan club, click here.
NAML

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamaWidow
Thank You so much!!!! Will leave it up for Hubby ~

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamaWidow
We did buy her new, I think she is an '89 model we bought new in '90. It was alot of money with a new property and large yard for a young couple with a small boy and more kids on the way. Money well spent! When the oldest was in college, he was doing some Ag business stuff and had a questionaire about what we would do with a few extra grand sitting around - at the time I replied 'Get a big Dixie Chopper now that the boys arent mowing for Mom', that was 8 years ago! I mow enough she has burnt thru 3 or 4 lawn sweepers with the plastic gears, we dont buy them any more, I just mow the heavy parts twice to mulch it better. Hence the name YamaWidow! I do get some looks mowing the ditch, people dont seem to know who/what she is! I'll try to snap a picture of the Old Girl and share! Like I said, she isnt pretty anymore! I have seen some in pictures that are still just beautiful!

DW tell your wife I would rather mow than do housework! I like the outdoors and it is relaxing, a nice lawn and barn yard are as satisfying to me as vacuum lines in a rug or a clean truck!

Hubby said he is buying JD blades, trimming them slightly and drilling the hole alittle bigger!
We would like ideas for resolving the cutting out and idle issues, they are not constant I just need patience to wait her thru her tantrum.

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

cr250
Has the carb been cleaned? Start there if not. The other thing I'm finding is nest under the shroud, this is causing an overheat issue. May want to pull them off just for a piece of mind.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamaWidow
I will pass that information along, thank you for a place to start!

You appear to be one of the guys that has the Pretty Mowers!

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

cr250
Ya, don't really use them for much more than snowblowing and fertilizing the yard these days. Hard to beat a Kabota Diesel 60" zero turn.
3-YT3600's, 2-YT 6800's, 1-YT6700 for parts.
DW

went to start my 6800 and had nothing but dimming red lights and no noise. charged the battery last night and will check things out this weekend. had to use that troy built to mow. if starter, it looks like that back bolt could be a pita. haven't checked how to remove it if needing rebuilt yet. anybody removed their starter lately? i'll check the safety switch and see if that is the problem

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamaWidow
Glad you found a decent replacement with the Kabota! Love our JD 3038 with all the attachments, but the Yamaha will still out mow the Woods finish any day!

Sorry for the trouble DW, hope she is in a better mood for you this weekend! Ours just made another week with no complaining from her or me! She didnt cut out once this week, I think our weekend will be looking into the suggestion on the carb. and the nest that was mentioned!
DW

hey CR i lost an engine because of a nest under the shroud. over heated and seized up.
DW

everything good again. back in service.

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

YamaWidow
Great News! Please share the steps to revive her!!! We will be checking that nest under the shroud before we mow again...
DW

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

DW
i started with the ign. switch and disconnected it and used a small wire to get into the connections to remove some of the green corrosion. then went to the seat switch and removed and cleaned and oiled it.then went to the brake switch and did the same with it. i then applied die-electric grease to all switch connections and worked the switches back and forth while trying to get the grease into every cavity i could reach. i have battery cables ready to install but right now everything seems to be working great. this rider is a magneto equipped rider and i used to have  a 1966 harley sportster with a magneto. i started to remember some of the minor problems i had with the bike. this bike was a kick start and was a super simple electrical system.the only difference between the rider and bike is that the rider has an electric start. i took my voltage readings with red on batt. pos terminal and the black where it is grounded on the frame. also put the black probe on several places on the frame and got good readings everywhere. i still pan to replace the cables when the mowing season is over here. i was going to splice the seat and brake switch wires to do away with the switches all together but they work good now and i did not like the idea of those two switches having 12 volts all the time. also cleaned the connection on the starter relay and greased it up good.

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

gilly
Greetings to all you Yamaha Fans, I have a yt6800 that I kept brand new as a Yamaha dealer in Plaistow NH back in the 80's and 90's  when they first came out I sold a few that year but they were pretty pricey and hard to sell, the next year (1990 )  I sold a couple more then they discontinued it . I kept the last one and brought it home...Used it for the next 15 years in NH then brought it down here to my Florida home, lot bigger yard and mow year round, still looks great runs perfect, always maintained, only parts that were ever replaced was the main belt and battery...still has the original blades on it...you couldn't buy a better mower and still they are a good buy if you can find a good used one...Thanks Yamaha for a great Product...
gilly
DW

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

DW
i agree 100%.

Re: tell us about this years mowing with the yamaha mowers.

Francisco
I got a Yamaha yt3600 and it rides smooth. Great craftsmanship on these tractors. This year I changed rear tires to ag tires, and changed gaskets on carburetor. Good quality and engineering in my opinion. I used it at least 2 times on mowing season, and I don’t have a big yard, but I enjoy mowing with this machine.
12